POSTPONED – Masterpiece 2020 Study Day. The Art of the Dealer: Selling Antique Ceramics
Due to Covid-19 we are sad to announce that this year’s Study Day has been postponed. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The French Porcelain Society is proud to announce its second study morning at the prestigious Masterpiece Fair to be held on Friday 26th June 2020. It will focus on the pivotal role played by dealers trading in antique and second-hand ceramics beginning in the 1880s in Europe and America to the present day in the formation of both private and public collections, in influencing taste and furthering knowledge and scholarship. Confirmed speakers include Dr Charlotte Vignon, Curator of Decorative Arts at the Frick Collection and Associate Professor at the Bard Graduate Center who will speak on Duveen Brothers and John Whitehead who will speak on the Antique Porcelain Company.
The morning will conclude with a lively, round-table discussion between leading dealers, curators and collectors. Tickets will include entrance to the fair and participants will have the opportunity to join a tour after the study morning of the major ceramics stands. Further details of the programme and booking information will be announced shortly.
We invite submissions for 20-minute illustrated papers on any aspect of selling antique ceramics, from the 1880s to the present. Possible topics include:
- case studies of notable dealers and the collectors they served
- the market for specific types of ceramics including Sèvres, maiolica, blue and white, Wedgwood, and oriental porcelain
- trans-national trading networks
- the role of the auction house, provenance and price trends
- scholar dealers and the retailing of ceramics
- the role of the dealer in helping to establish museum collections
- the evolution of art and antique fairs and dealer exhibitions
- buying back Sèvres for the French Nation
Image credit: John Dixon Piper, Old Curiosity Shop, Bury St Edmunds, c. 1860 (The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles)